The St. Lawrence Gap & Beyond in Barbados
Divi Southwinds Beach Resort is right in the center of everything you want to do in Barbados. Our tropical resort is between a half-mile stretch of pure, white sand beach and "The Gap" — a lively Barbados street attraction with restaurants, shops, music, and an abundance of local color. This unique location offers guests a wide range of activities — from lazy days exploring the beach to exciting nightlife. Divi Southwinds is also just moments away from a wide range of activities like island tours and watersports.
Exploring the St. Lawrence Gap
The Gap is home to the best entertainment venues on the island, including plenty of family-friendly options. The walkable neighborhood is less than 1 mile long and stretches directly along the coast. You'll find the best entertainment on the west end of The Gap. Restaurants on The Gap offer breakfast, lunch, and dinner. You'll find daily access to beaches and beach activities with rentals and public restrooms/locker rooms available. You'll also find shopping among the several shops housed in traditional Bajan chattel houses offering souvenirs, gift items, and art.
Nightlife is lively for adults and includes nightclubs, sports bars, fine dining, arcades/slots, and live entertainment. Choose from a variety of venues, from fun, themed venues hosting dance contests to low-key bars with snack specials and karaoke. The Gap offers cultural floorshows, local musicians, and even theatre.
LET US DO THE PLANNING
Make the most of your Aruban vacation when you turn to our Caribbean experts for activity planning and arrangements. Our experienced, full-service activities coordinator is happy to arrange island tours, snorkeling excursions, water sports, and much more. For information on social distancing at Divi Southwinds Beach Resort, please refer to our CLEAN CHECK program.
The Colorful Festivals of Barbados
Divi Southwinds Beach Resort is the host resort for a variety of meetings and festivals in Barbados year-round. Outside of these, Barbados is also home to many popular annual festivals and celebrations. Choose Divi Southwinds for comfortable accommodations, just minutes away from the best festivals and conferences the island has to offer.
Annual Barbados Festivals:
- January: Mount Gay Round Barbados Race Series — Get ready to celebrate the finest and oldest brand of existence — Mount Gay Rum, in this exciting, annual event. Spectators can enjoy 3 days of coastal racing, the 79th Anniversary Round Barbados Race, and the Ocean Passage Race to Antigua.
- March: Cricket Tournaments — Cricket is the national sport of Barbados and the West Indies, and the island frequently hosts visitors to world-class matches at Kensington Oval. Join in on the fun and cheer on your favorite cricket team in this annual tournament.
- April: Barbados Reggae Festival — Listen to world famous artists play fun, upbeat, and relaxed reggae music during Barbados’ annual Reggae Festival. This 4-event festival celebrates all the unique styles of reggae, from vintage to beachy.
- May: Top Gear Festival — Feel the rush as some of the fastest cars in the world race and drift around specially designed tracks in this event. This festival has something for everyone, from drifting competitions to an interesting event that combines cricket and motorspots. / GospelFest — Come together in this celebration of religion and gospel music on Barbados. You’ll experience gospel music in a whole new way with its diverse styles, including reggae, calypso, jazz, and soul.
- June: Sol Rally Barbados — Barbados is all about sports, and the Sol Rally Barbados event is the Caribbean’s largest annual motorsports event. The festival celebrated its 25th anniversary in 2014, and the island people and competitors look forward to making many more memories and breaking many more records.
- August: Crop Over Festival — This event attracts thousands of people from all over the globe, and we hope you’ll be one of them! The Crop Over festival celebrates the culmination of another successful sugar cane harvest, complete with numerous fun activities and events.
- October: Food, Wine, & Rum Festival — Enjoy the best foods and drinks from all over the world at this annual festival. Barbados welcomes international chefs and wine experts to showcase their skills and offer excellent pairing suggestions. Being the birthplace of rum, you’ll find a great selection of this local spirit during the festival.
Other Annual Events:
- Holders Season
- Open House Programme
- Celtic Festival
- Holetown Festival
- Open Gardens
As Barbados is a coral island, a coral reef stretches all around its coastline, providing great diving spots with exotic views. The barrier reefs, located ½-2 miles from shore contain large coral heads, which form the habitat for thousands of beautiful fish. Larger organisms are also found on these reefs, feeding on the smaller fish.
Historic & Natural Barbados
Barbados has a rich history preserved and restored in many of its historic buildings. From sprawling plantation homes to scenic views from old lighthouses, Barbados offers a unique view from the past as it blends into the present. Some popular tours include: